High Holiday Experience in Israel

My Yom Kippur in Jerusalem experience was pretty similar to the one Max described. It was an incredible opportunity and completely unique from any other Yom Kippur I've had in the past. Both services I attended were Reform, which was starkly different from the Orthodox Shul I went to on Rosh HaShana.

I spent the New Year in Yokneam, the Israeli sister city to St. Louis. I spent the weekend meeting and celebrating with my adoptive family. They were warm and of course, force fed me like the most welcoming of Israeli's do. The situation was albeit slightly awkward, thrown into a foreign home, expected to feel immediately comfortable and celebrate this family oriented holiday together. Even so, it felt wonderful to be around a loving family, who opened their home to me and accepted me into all of their traditions.

The morning of Rosh HaShana, I attended services with Zvi at the Orthodox Shul, mostly just to feel like I was inside a synagogue during the holiday. I have to admit I had no conception of anything going on during the two hours we were there. So, needless to say, the two Reform services I found myself at in Jerusalem for Yom Kippur provided a much different experience. It was comforting to be in a service I was much more familiar with and equally as nice to be surrounded by the friends I have made in Israel who have quickly become my family here in Ashkelon.

Like Max, I went to HUC for Kol Nidre services. The following morning I found a small Reform Synagogue in the heart of Jerusalem. However, beyond the services, it is difficult to put into words what really made the experience of Yom Kippur in Jerusalem so unique. I won't dwell on how empty the streets were or what it was like to see every building completely shut down because I know Max explained this phenomenon. While it is stunning to witness the abandonment of city-life for one day, to me the amazement came from what this represented. With Jerusalem in the state it was it is impossible to ignore that whether secular or religious, everyone is Jewish (I realize that I'm generalizing the area I was staying in to account for all of Jerusalem, mostly because it accurately depicts my impression of the experience.).

There, everyone was celebrating Yom Kippur in their own way. Instead of walking by the various fast food restaurants open for business on State Street and explaining to teachers why I won't be attending class, I saw nothing and no one. Instead, I could feel only the weight of the day and the beauty of this area, populated by Jews.

As it is the season for holiday after holiday, Sukkot break began this afternoon. Tomorrow morning I'm leaving with friends for a trip up north. We'll be staying in Tiberius, then making our way to Tzfat for Shabbat and Simchat Torah and finally ending in Jerusalem for an Otzma Seminar. I'll be sure to share stories from those adventures as soon as I get back to Ashkelon at the end of the 10 days!

Chag Sameach!
Andi

0 comments:

Post a Comment